The Office of the Tax Assessor is responsible for the following:
- Discovering and locating property – To make sure all property situated in town is located.
- Listing of property – When located, a system for describing the property must be used to identify each property.
- Taxability determination – After being located and listed, a determination is made whether the property is taxable. There are a wide variety of tax exemption and tax deduction statutes. (Such as: Senior Citizen Deduction, Disability Deduction, Certain Surviving Spouse Deduction, Veteran and Surviving Spouse of Veteran or Serviceperson Deduction, Disabled Veteran and Surviving Spouse of Disabled Veteran or Serviceperson Exemption – CLICK HERE for the qualifications for each of these deductions.)
- Values Property – Sets the assessed value on the property in accordance with the bases of real property value recognized by State law, as interpreted by the courts.
- Tax equalization – Identification of trends in property values throughout the taxing district and the adjustment of assessments where justified.
- Defense of appeals – Defends the assessments on properties upon appeal.
Along with the above, the assessor also keeps the tax map current and keeps the ownership information on the tax rolls up-to-date based on the recorded deeds. Inspections of all properties within the township are also performed on a periodic basis.
Ocean County Tax Board
Certified List of Owners
Senior Disabled Deduction
100% Disabled Veterans
Taxpayer's Bill of Rights
Lacey Township Tax Assessor
818 Lacey Road
Forked River, NJ 08731
Ed Seeger, Jr., CTA
Phone: (609) 693-1100, ext 2242